top of page
Convenção ou apostila de Haia documentos estrangeiros  M.W. Consultoria para Migrações

Hague Convention or Hague Apostille

The Hague Convention, or Hague Apostille, is an agreement established by the Hague Conference on Private International Law, which aims to dispense with the legalization of foreign public documents issued by consular authorities. In other words, the Hague Convention creates a “seal” that attests to the validity of the document so that it can be accepted in any country that is a signatory to the agreement.

The document legalization procedure (or Hague Apostille) is necessary in any procedure involving more than one country, as in the case of migratory processes such as obtaining a residence permit (RNM, formerly RNE) or a consular visa.

The most common documents to be apostilled in migratory processes are: birth and marriage certificate, criminal record certificate, university diploma (school transcript), sworn translations, and more.

Not all countries are included in the Hague Convention. In the case of documents issued by non-signatory countries of the convention to be accepted in Brazil, these must be legalized at a Brazilian consular office. The recognition process is known as a “consular legalization.”

When apostilling a certificate, you will receive another document that attests to the validity of the apostille certificate with a digital identification certificate (QR Code).

Which countries are part of the Hague Convention?


Convenção ou apostila de Haia documentos estrangeiros  M.W. Consultoria para Migrações

Common questions

Can I legalize a document issued over the internet?

Yes. However, the document must go through the process of materialization beforehand. Request the certificate via the internet or through a third party. The apostille or legalization of the document must also be carried out.

Does the Apostille have an expiration date?

No. The apostille does not “expire”, but it also does not influence the validity of the apostille documents. For example, if your certificate has its own expiration date, issuing the apostille will not extend it.

I need to legalize a document issued by a foreign country that is part of the Hague Apostille Convention, what should I do?

You must go to the public body authorized by the issuing country to make the Apostille.

I would like to legalize a certified copy of a document. It is possible?

Yes. However, check if the recipient will accept a certified copy or if only the original document with an apostille will be accepted.

Who can legalize a document based on the Hague Apostille Convention?

Anyone, as long as they present an official identification document.

Does the apostilled document need to be original?

No. Certified copies can also be apostilled. However, always check if the location requires the original document

bottom of page